Table for One

I eat out. A lot. Alone, mostly...mostly. There are three human requirements: sleeping, shitting, and eating. Eating is, by far, the most conducive to thinking, especially if you eat alone a lot. This is my place to share some of those ponderings, observations, and revelations that happen over a table for one.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sushi, Wine, and Deceptions

Hi Everybody,
Every piece melted in my mouth, every sip made my mouth water. Every little, buttery soybean was cherished by my tongue, demolished by my teeth...I ordered one last piece of sushi, Unagi, my favorite! I savored every bite, all three! As I swallowed the last one, a tiny bone lodged in my throat. And I realized at that moment that life is full of deceptions. As I like to say, "Life is not always puppies, rainbows, and cotton candy." There will always exist those deceptions in life that are inevitable...the unexpected death of a close friend, the inability to conceive, in spite of your best intentions, getting fired, finding out your boyfriend gave you gonorrhea or worse still, finding out the love of your life rolled around in the hay with your best friend...no siree, life is not always puppies, rainbows, and cotton candy.
Always the eternally struggling optimist, I start to wonder about the future...In particular, my new fascination, my Italian Stallion. Is he hung like a horse? Doubt it. Does he chew with his mouth open, probably. Does he stare at beautiful women in front of his significant other? Most likely. Am I just infatuated? Absolutely...There is no harsher deception than an infatuation gone bad...besides, of course, the image of your best friend and your boyfriend macking down. I try not to expect too much from a perfect stranger, but it's hard when you're convinced he's the one. And yet, I realized today how little I know about him. For example, right or left-handed?...does he like his steak well-done or medium-rare?...what size shoe?...near or far sighted?...prefers rain or shine?...hot or cold?...lake or ocean?...chicken or veal?...favorite song in the whole world?...what fixation, peculiarity, or idiosyncracy don't I know about?...favorite place in the whole world?...drama or comedy?...poems or sagas?...Ginger or Mary Ann?...mountains or deserts?...phobias? Does it even matter? No, because in the end, I know I am setting myself up for another exercise in deception, anyway.
Thanks for reading.
~C. Huff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home